Celtics star Jaylen Brown disputes Beverly Hills’ claims that his event was shut down
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) — Boston Celtics star Jaylen Brown disputed claims from the city of Beverly Hills after an event he hosted on the eve of the NBA All-Star Game was shut down because the city said he didn’t have a permit.
“I’m offended by Beverly Hills, by the statement that they put out, like we applied for something and didn’t get it, and we did it anyway (and) we were insubordinate,” Brown told ESPN after Sunday’s game. “I know how to follow the rules. I’m smart enough to follow the guidelines.”
Announcement
Hours earlier, Beverly Hills released a statement to the Boston Globe, saying it had refused a permit. The event promoting Brown’s performance brand, 741, was held at the home of Oakley founder Jim Jannard. Brown has an endorsement deal with Oakley.
“An event permit had been requested and denied by the City due to prior violations associated with events at the address,” the statement reads. “Despite the permit being denied, the organizers still chose to proceed with inviting hundreds of guests knowing this was not permitted to happen. BHPD responded and shut down the unauthorized event.”
Brown countersued to ESPN, saying, “That wasn’t true. We didn’t need a permit because the owner of the house, that was his space. We were family friends. He opened up the festivities to us so we didn’t have to do it. We never applied for one.”
___
AP NBA: https://apnews.com/hub/nba
