The Clippers’ sudden rebuild brings the team’s familiar chaos back
The days when the Clippers were the biggest underdogs in professional sports are long gone, and this NBA All-Star Weekend should have been the time to celebrate that.
The team that spent its first four decades of existence as a punchline and purgatory has now had 14 consecutive winning seasons with a succession of basketball greats wearing its uniform. After decades spent playing in dingy gyms from Buffalo to San Diego to downtown Los Angeles, the Clippers now hold court in a new, luxurious, futuristic arena built by the richest owner in professional sports, Steve Ballmer.
Announcement
Yet perhaps it’s cosmically fitting that this crowning All-Star moment comes in the midst of a deeply chaotic season for the Clippers, whose new fans have gotten a taste of the bad old days of a team that once spent nearly every year mired in some sort of mess.
“We’ve been through a lot this year,” said Clippers guard Kris Dunn, whose team closed out the first half of the season Wednesday with a 105-102 win in Houston. “Our mentality throughout the year was just try to find a way. It was tough.”
The season began under the shadow of an NBA investigation into a suspicious endorsement deal for superstar Kawhi Leonard that may have been a way for the team to get around the salary cap — and which has infuriated the sport’s front offices, regardless of what the league ultimately decides. Leonard, Ballmer and president of basketball operations Lawrence Frank deny all wrongdoing, but the Clippers could face sanctions if the league disagrees.
The Clippers then went on a chaotic 6-21 start in which they kicked franchise icon Chris Paul off the team just six weeks into the 40-year-old point guard’s long-awaited farewell season. A couple of weeks after Paul’s banishment, coach Tyronn Lue’s Clippers improbably began winning again, with former league MVP James Harden and veteran center Ivica Zubac stepping up alongside Leonard to lead a 16-3 surge in the playoff race.
Announcement
Read more: Complete coverage: NBA All-Star Weekend 2026
But then Frank blew up his roster last week, trading Harden to Cleveland and Zubac to Indiana. The moves likely improved the long-term outlook for a team that began the season with the NBA’s oldest roster, but they may have ended an era. They still have Leonard, who scored 27 points, including a three-point play in the final seconds, in Wednesday’s win.
“As difficult as these moves are, we are extremely excited about where we are going,” Frank said. “We want to win now”
The Clippers’ current streak of 14 winning seasons was virtually unthinkable just 15 years ago, when this franchise had only managed six winning seasons in 40 years. They made the playoffs 12 times and won the first three Pacific Division titles during that time.
Announcement
But the Clippers’ last five months have been dramatic enough for a decade in many clubs, and All-Star weekend will be a welcome opportunity for the team and its fans to catch their breath. This is the first All-Star weekend hosted exclusively by the Clippers, who have shared the honor three times previously with their perennial big brothers, the 17-time champion Lakers.
The Clippers (26-28) once had to hide Lakers banners when they both played at the former Staples Center, but they don’t have these problems in their new $2 billion palace that puts the Lakers’ old arena to shame.
And at least Clippers fans won’t have the bittersweet experience of watching Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, who is injured and won’t play in Inglewood. The reigning league MVP and NBA Finals MVP began his career with the Clippers in 2018, only to be traded to Oklahoma City a year later along with a staggering amount of draft picks for Paul George.
Read more: NBA Crossover: Where fans can immerse themselves in All-Star Weekend
Announcement
The entire future beyond All-Star Weekend is murky for the Clippers, between the looming investigations and roster uncertainty. But after the league marvels at the wonders of the Intuit Dome, Frank and the respected Lue will continue working to keep the good times going.
“Yes, this is where I want to be,” Lue said. “Having an owner like Mr. Ballmer, who is incredible, does so many things for me… I want to be here.”
Get the best, coolest and weirdest stories of the day from the Los Angeles sports scene and beyond in our newsletter The Sports Report.
This story originally appeared in the Los Angeles Times.
